As I sit down to update the blog it really hit me on how fast his pregnancy seems to be flying by. I have loved being pregnant! What an amazing experience. We are in the process of organizing the house and getting the nursery all painted and set up. I’ll be posting that next. We’ve been having a lot of fun with that!
The babies have been named: Legend Beecher Baker and Taycie Anne-Marie Baker. Both babies middle names come from family and with a story. I just LOVE that!
We have both got to feel the babies kick from the outside (so exciting), we have attended the childbirth class (scary), gone on a tour of the hospital we will deliver at (not scary), registered for the babies needs (overwhelming) and we have been praying over these two blessings that everything continues to go smooth (my husbands spiritual leadership is a blessing).
I have also been feeling great, the doctor appointments have been boring (GREAT news) and the Mr. and I have been enjoying date nights on the regular while we can (LOVE this part).
I have been reading and researching a lot about twins and in the mean time I have found out a lot on my own so far. The biggest differences between a twin pregnancy and my friends who have had a single pregnancy are
1. Exercise isn’t that important when you are carrying multiples. My doctor has told me that walking, swimming and light stretching are OK, but that rest is more important than active exercise. I thought that was very interesting since I’m always reading about working out while pregnant in the magazines.
2. Twin pregnancies have increased risks and more prenatal appointments. Every pregnancy has risks but having twins can increase those risks. Every time I turn around I feel like I am at the doctors office. The pro to that is I feel like me and the babies have been getting the up-most care and I have gotten to know my doctor very well. I go every two weeks to my regular doctor and to the high-risk doctor for now, and after 30 weeks I’ll be seeing them both EVERY WEEK to make sure everyone and everything is looking good.
3. Drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. This is something that I’ve had to be VERY conscious of. My doctor said that rest and water is what will keep me from going into pre-term labor. I’ve been drinking HEAVY! 😉
4. I need a lot more vitamins and calories. I’ve had to up my vitamin intake since there are two babies and I’ve also been allowed 600 extra calories a day, 300 per baby. YAHOO! Never in my life have I had doctors orders to eat MORE, and by more they mean salads, fruits and veggies but this also helps me justify sneaking in a Braum’s Milk Shake or a cupcake every now and then. OK, maybe every week! Hey, Ice-cream is Calcium if you ask me!
5. Limited to NO travel. This really surprised me. I was in the throws of planning a babymoon to the islands and had been hearing all about my friends who had traveled up until week 30, only to be shot down by doctors orders of no travel. She reminded me of the no-stress and more rest rule.
6. Everything needs to be prepared WAY in advance. According to the March of Dimes, 60% of twin pregnancies are born prematurely (less than 37 weeks), with the average twins born at 35 weeks. So the doctor told us to be prepared for anything and have the “go-bag” packed, car seats installed, cribs ready to go. I’m 23 weeks and we are getting prepared.
In the beginning all I thought was different was that I was going to be much bigger and have smaller babies than a single pregnancy. Only slightly true, I have been measuring bigger but I have met women who have big ole’ twin babies too! I’ve been slathering on the lotion like. every. hour. At 22 weeks I am measuring 25 weeks.
The shock of having two babies has finally worn off a bit and seeing their little clothes all organized in the closet is getting me more excited. Now that the cribs are set up and the room is all painted I find myself going in the nursery and soaking it all in which has helped make this dream seem more real. Most days I still can’t believe we are being blessed with two sweethearts. Until then we’ll just be waiting for Legend Beecher and Taycie Anne-Marie to make their real debut into the world.
Sparkle and Spur
“The day I decided my life was magical, there was magic all around me.” ~Marabeth Quin